I have a whole bag of wheat bran to use following last weekend’s bread baking adventure and am putting it to good use.
The thing about baking is, it typically involves bunch of ingredients I don’t often have on hand and don’t particularly want to eat like butter, sugar and milk.
Health-ifying recipes for your needs is easy enough when you’re fearless in the kitchen and know the right substitutions.
Almond milk for regular milk.
Flax seed for eggs.
Oil and mashed banana/apple sauce for butter.
Stevia for sugar.
The outcome is low calorie, satisfying and delicious.
Banana Bran Muffins (sugar free!)
makes 12 muffins
- 1-1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 bananas
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbs liquid egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp white stevia powder (Nunaturals brand – I have no idea about the taste of other brands)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, wheat bran, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl until combined.
- In a smaller bowl, mash the bananas.
- Combine the milk, egg whites, vanilla, oil and bananas with the dry ingredients and stir until the batter comes together. It should be clumpy and thick.
- Spoon the batter into your muffin tins all the way to the top – these won’t rise much.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.